Have you ever searched stores looking for a specific item and not been able to find it? Thats generally when my creative wheels start turning and I try to figure out a way to make what I want. This year while we were decorating the house, I decided I wanted to have some garland looped under the mantle. Rob wanted to add some fun lights somewhere so it seemed like a good match.
We found the fun lights at Target – battery powered candy canes. Now onto the garland….which was impossible to find. All the ones I saw had lights on it, which we didn’t need. And then the ones that didn’t have lights were utter garbage quality wise. So I started thinking. I remembered that I had a bunch of left over green felt and decided what would be the best way to attach it.
I was inspired by those fleece blankets where the ends are tied together – no sewing involved and I could mindlessly work on it while hanging with Dylan or watching tv. So got some yarn long enough for the loops and got to tying.
I rough cut the felt – about 1 1/2″ by 6″. I think having varying sizes was better than having uniform sizes so I just eyeballed it. Once I had a bunch of pieces I began to cut the leaf shape. I folded the felt in half and cut the middle portion where it would be tied on and then cut the leaf shape.
Once I had a bunch, I started tying them to the felt. I folded the leave in half before tying just to make it easier for me. This took me awhile to make – it is not a quick project – but its simple. Time consuming can be easy. I would average that I used a yard of felt to cover 87″ of yarn.
I’m really happy with the end result and I love how the lights look on it – the red lights look like little touches of holly berries! This will definitely be used for years to come.