Initial Necklace

IMG_8703

I have been searching for a cute and inexpensive initial necklace but haven’t found much. I tend to fall in love with things that are insanely expensive and then things I can actually afford never seem to measure up. This usually ends with me making something. Obviously I can’t make fine jewelry, but instead I can make some really cute little clay beads. I wanted to try a few different versions to test out how the sculpey would hold up.

IMG_8493

I picked up three different colors of sculpey. A charcoal, a teal, and a white. Grey and teal are my favorite colors and I thought they white would be good to have to use on its own or to lighten the other two colors. I also picked up some chain and some clasps. I knew I wanted to make pretty short necklaces, so I would be able to get a few out of the chain I found at Michaels. To make the hole for the beads, I used an awl. If I tried to make this again, I would use something a little wider to poke the holes. Two of the beads cracked in half while I was trying to put them on the chain. The holes definitely needed to be a little wider. To stamp the letters, I used a rubber stamp.

IMG_8500

IMG_8501

The first idea I had was to make a cursive letter. To do this, I rolled out a really thin little worm of clay. The tough part here is forming the letter without leaving any marks on it. I definitely have a few little nail marks in mine! To help with the letters, I drew out some cursive letters to mold the clay on top of. This really helped to get it the right shape the first time.

IMG_8506

IMG_8509

Next I wanted to try some letter beads. One being a small circle and the other being more of a trapezoid shape. For the circle, I used a lead pencil to make the impression of the letter. This wasn’t as clean, but it was definitely more noticeable. On the pendent, I used the letter stamp. It was much easier to do, but definitely not as noticeable. Which I don’t hate. I like that it’s not as noticeable, but I know it’s there.

IMG_8696

IMG_8697

For the trapezoid, I started playing with a marble effect. Since I had the white clay, I just took a little of the teal and white and mixed them together. I stopped kneading the clay before the colors combined, leaving me with a very cool marble effect.

IMG_8699

IMG_8700

Since this is a bake dry clay, the beads made a pit stop in the oven. With these pieces being small and thin, I wanted to really watch them so they didn’t over bake. I followed the temp listed on the package, but did half the time and checked them. They needed a little bit more time, maybe two minutes more.

IMG_8702

IMG_8703

When they came out of the oven, they were totally solid. I then started to string them on the chains. Like I said above, definitely plan to make the holes bigger next time. Some of the beads were just too small and I broke them in half trying to stuff the chain through. The ones that did work however, turned out pretty awesome.

IMG_8706

IMG_8705

I’ve never worked with sculpey before and this was such an easy and fun project. I felt like a kid playing with clay again! I definitely plan on using this for more projects.

signature

1 Comment

  1. It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d definitely donate to this fantastic blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

Leave a Reply